Ariel Gordon Jewelry is looking for a talented bench jeweler, ideally with at least 2-5 years of experience in a production environment to join our in-house team. Schedule is flexible but we are looking for 25-30 hours/wk (with an increase during peak seasons) and/or we are open to FT. We are looking for candidates with knowledge of delicate chains, laser welding, basic stone setting, ring sizing, and jewelry repair. AGJ offers a fully stocked studio with flexible scheduling and a pleasant work environment. The in-house bench jeweler will coordinate with the Production Director and Los Angeles production teams. This person will also work closely with Ariel and the design team to translate new design concepts into physical samples and final jewelry designs. The ideal candidate will be passionate about bench work with a high attention to detail and commitment, as well as bringing exceptional skills and personality to the small team.
Ariel Gordon Jewelry is a rapidly growing company in need of someone who is enthusiastic, responsible, and nimble. Must be based in the Bay Area.
BENCHWORK - requires submitting samples of your work to show skill level
- Production bench work - Hand fabrication, soldering, assembly (including using a laser welder), polishing, finishing
- Basic Stone setting - flush, pave, bezel, prong
- Repairs - fix broken chains, replace missing stones, reshape ring shanks
- Stringing pearls and beads
- Investigate defective products and perform root cause analysis leading to implementation of product redesign or phase out
- Huge bonus if you’re able to do hand engraving
SAMPLE & DEVELOPMENT COORDINATION
- Partner with Ariel to understand design direction on new styles.
- Source appropriate materials to produce new samples
- Bring valuable knowledge of jewelry construction methods and contribute to design strategies and approaches.
- Manage inventory and ordering of equipment, tools, wire, diamonds, beads and stones
- Oversee scrapping program
- Coordinate with LA and Bay Area production teams
- Use all relevant information to make financially sound choices
- Update AGJ’s internal HOW TO documents regularly with product knowledge and best-practices
- Demonstrate initiative and ownership of work product and space.
- Coordinate with other team members during peak times to assist with photoshoots, sample sales, events, and other all hands activities as necessary
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE
- A minimum 2-5 years experience of relevant experience in jewelry production
- Must have eagle eyes and be good with your hands to handle our delicate 14k jewelry (1mm chain, 20 gauge wire, 1 point diamonds etc). Attention to detail is a must! We have high quality standards. Experience with setting small stones & working with fine gold chain a must.
- Comfortable using small hand tools (ie flex shaft / files / saws / pliers) and large equipment (ie laser welder / polishing machine / microscope).
- Detail-oriented, analytical, organized
- Ability to work in a fast-paced setting under deadlines with strong time management skills
- Comfortable working both autonomously and collaboratively with a team
- CAD skills a plus but not required
- Hand engraving skills a HUGE plus but not required
- Comfortable working with your hands
- Requires sitting for long periods of time
- Repetitive physical movements
- Careful handling of materials
- Ability to work with very small pieces and parts
- Must be based in Bay Area (our offices are based in Berkeley)
- This is a part time position 25-30 hrs a week from 9:30 am - 5:30 pm with hourly pay (however we are open to full time employment)
- commensurate with experience
- 100% paid medical benefits (if working 30 hrs minimum a week)
- 100% paid Life Insurance policy
- 401k matching & profit sharing
- Paid sick leave & vacation
- Paid time off during AGJ office closure from Christmas through New Year
- Birthday Program - receive $500 towards the wholesale price of an AGJ piece
- Generous employee discount
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Free parking
Ariel Gordon Jewelry is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Ariel Gordon Jewelry welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.